CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, May 26, 2008

BOLDER Boulder

Yesterday marked the 2-week anniversary of our time here in Boulder. It's lived up to the hype so far!



Today was the highlight and probably the biggest weekend of the year here. The Boulder Creek Arts Festival ran all weekend, and the Bolder Boulder 10K race was today. With 54,000 runners/walkers, it's the 4th largest road race in the world, and when you add all the spectators - like 100,00 - they say it's the biggest celebration of Memorial Day in the country.




We both ran it. It's really a huge party. Creative costumes, early morning keg parties on lawns, adults on slip-n-slides, belly dancers, bands, etc. - you name it, we saw it. At the end, you run into the U of Colorado stadium. Then they have a Memorial Day tribute and jet flyovers, and the pro racers finish in the stadium. Really fun! Who's coming to do this race with us next year?


Scott did really well, placing in the top 2.5% of the field. I was just happy to finish the 6 miles.

We've really enjoyed the town so far. We have met 8 neighbors, which is more than we met in 6 years in Santa Fe. There's also green grass and trees with leaves here. And rain. Haven't seen any of those for a while. We have a park (photo below), dog park and rec center within walking distance.


Then there are the trails that go forever, all over town and beyond. It's like Christmas morning for Scott each day, trying a new route for runs. And they say 14% of all trips in Boulder are by bike.




I have to mention the Safeway. It's beautiful. It's a normal grocery store a couple of blocks away but they have mood lighting and all kinds of stuff we had to drive far for in Santa Fe. Very fun.




The farmer's market happens twice a week. You can get all kinds of yunmy stuff. We made a whole dinner out of all Colorado-grown/raised stuff one night.






Other than that, we've been unpacking slowly in between seeing the town and heavy workloads.

That's the update for now. Thanks for putting up with our obnoxious excitement.


Love,
Casey

6 comments:

Nancy said...

Hey Scott and Casey! Welcome to blogging. I am so glad you started one. I love to keep up with people. Boulder looks beautiful. Glad you are enjoying it so far!!

Brownie's Points said...

"Thanks for putting up with our obnoxious excitement."

Excitement is contagious! Y'all have fun!

Love, Aunt Bernie and Jim

Dave Walnum said...

I am glad to see you guys jumped on the blog bandwagon. I am sitting here in the airport and can easily check in with you guys. It sounds like Boulder is the right fit for you guys!

Dave

Jim, Lara, Colin, Josiah and Alma Jo Fiscus said...

I LOVE IT! I LOVE IT! I LOVE IT!

I love it all...I love that you are blogging your EXCITING life, I love that you're in Boulder, I love that you love it, and I love that now we have a place to stay when we come to visit! See, I really do love it all.

I can't sign us up for the Boulder 10K in 2009 as we'll still be in Korea, but Jim, Colin and I will shoot for 2010! Can we reserve a room for 2010? If you can't host us, perhaps we'll just stay in the parking lot at Safeway...every girl benefits from mood lighting.

LOVE YOU GUYS! GREAT to see your smiling faces!


Lara, Jim and Colin

Rekha said...

Hey Scott & Casey
It was fun to be part of your obnoxious excitement..Well I've never seen anyone getting so excited to see a patch of grass.Welcome back to the real world from your exotic vacation.Count us in for sometime to be back to our nostalgic CO .Enjoying Calgary so far.Tasha got sick today.So I got sometime.Enjoying our B&B stay.Catch up with you soon.Enjoy Boulder

Unknown said...

WOW, congratulations on making the move, and surviving it!!! I'm in the midst of doing the same thing, but my renters are happy and I soon will be settled in at Lenny's. I'm so tired of cleaning dust from construction!

Love the photos, too!!! Have a terrific week and so glad you're in a great place!!!

Sandy in Santa Fe